In Michigan, Dreams Can Come True

January 26, 2012

The Detroit Tigers just got another big bat in the lineup by signing Prince Fielder today. The slugger signed a 9-year contract worth $214 million. His incentives include $1 million if he is named the league’s Most Valuable Player. He also gets his own hotel suite when the Tigers are on the road. It’s no wonder he said “dreams come true” at a press conference on Thursday at Comerica Park.

Now Tigers fans will look for Fielder to help propel the team to its first World Series win since Ronald Reagan was nearing the end of his first term in the White House. For those of you too young to remember the Tigers in 1984, it was a marvelous season. Google it sometime.

Those of you who cheered on the team in ‘84 may recall relief pitcher Willie Hernandez earned both the Cy Young Award and the A.L. MVP award. Yet we know that baseball is truly a team sport and winning a championship takes a whole team of players dedicated to making it happen. One “Prince” can be a tremendous boost though, but the responsibility lies with every player at the plate, on the mound, and on the field every single game.

In the restoration business, we work with the same philosophy in mind. A winning team is made up of more than one person. It takes a commitment from each one of our “players” to successfully complete a project, from the first response a client gets by phone to ensuring the work meets expectations.

We’re dedicated to making 2012 a successful year, serving property owners here in Michigan and beyond to the best of our ability. If you know someone who wants a winning team on the job of water mitigation, sewage clean-up, fire and smoke damage restoration, and much more, let them know about Aaron’s Restoration. We’re available at 888-442-2766 round-the-clock. Even Prince Fielder can’t say that.

Read More »

Misery and Michigan Frostbite

January 21, 2012

It doesn’t matter how cold it gets in Michigan in January, there is always someone walking around ill-prepared for the elements. You might see her on the street with a light jacket when it’s 25 degrees out. You might see him shoveling his sidewalk without gloves. Or you might be that person we’re talking about.

At Aaron’s Restoration, we deal in disasters all the time: storms, fires, floods, etc.. But our business involves working around things that can be replaced. It may be flooring damaged by flooding, a dryer burned in a fire or a wall lost to a tree felled by a storm. But human fingers and toes aren’t easily replaced when amputation becomes necessary after frostbite.

It may seem unusual for a restoration company to be discussing a medical condition. After all, you won’t find a doctor blogging about mold remediation. But we understand the need to be comfortable in your home, your sanctuary. It’s difficult to do that when your health and well-being are affected by the impact of frigid weather on your body. Even just adding a hat that covers your ears can prevent you from losing 40% of your body heat when you’re out in these chilly conditions.

Working outside for any period of time makes it imperative to dress properly for the weather. As you’ve certainly felt recently, our temperatures have stayed below freezing quite often, and even a gentle breeze at those temperatures can produce a fierce wind chill. That’s why we make sure our crews are prepared for the weather each and every time they respond to a call.

A little bit of extra time getting dressed for our cold Michigan winter days and nights is always well worth it. It may only take an extra sixty seconds to find those thick gloves and put on a warm hat. Easy enough, right? You want to be prepared for an emergency, not become one.

Read More »

The Holiday Season Heats Up in Michigan

December 8, 2011

Santa Claus is coming to town, and he’s turning up everywhere these days. This Saturday, you can take the kids to see St. Nick at Cranbrook House and Gardens in Bloomfield Hills at noon. Maybe a 1 pm lunch with Kris Kringle at Stonycreek Metro Park in Utica sounds good. Or for early birds, meet the jolly man in the red suit at Macy’s (Oakland) in Troy for breakfast at 9 am. Yes, he sure seems to travel fast. But so do you.

Quick departures from home to get to the stores, community events, school functions, or church services can be the norm this time of year. After all, there is so little time and so much to do. But during the next few weeks, as we wrap up 2011, it definitely pays to take time for a few precautions before leaving the house every time, no matter how short the expected trip may be.

Fireplaces are the usual suspects and hopefully you know better than to leave a fire burning when you’re out of the house. But what about a clothes dryer? An unattended clothes dryer is another fire hazard, especially one with a build-up of lint. The safest option is to turn it off before leaving.

Attending that office holiday party may prompt you to use the curling iron to look your best, but leaving the curling iron on, one without an automatic shut-off, is a hazard that can lead to horrendous consequences. The same can be said of a clothes iron. These household items should be safely turned off and moved to a place they can cool off without igniting nearby fabric or material.

As a safety precaution, do a walk-through of your home to inspect for potential fire dangers. Identify what items, if left on or unattended, could spark a fire. Then, when it’s time to get on the road, assign each family member a room to check. The extra few minutes you spend now just might save you thousands of dollars later.

In the event of a fire, rely on Aaron’s Restoration for 24-hour emergency service from board-up to rebuilding. Visit anytime, or when disaster strikes, call 888-442-2766 first.

Weekend Events Info

Read More »

Avoiding Autumn Fire Dangers

September 22, 2011

Autumn is notable for its bright colors, cooler temperatures and warmer clothing. But the season also presents some potential threats, including fire hazards. Some homeowners in Michigan and Ohio may be living with dangerous conditions that could lead to a house fire right now. Even worse, they may not even know it.

Homeowners can reduce the risk of these threats by evaluating some key areas. Start with your smoke alarms to ensure they are functioning properly. Carbon monoxide detectors are another valuable purchase. They detect a deadly build-up of the odorless gas, which can lead to immediate health effects as well as fire.

While you’re thinking “up”, consider another danger area: light fixtures. Faulty wiring and other problems can lead to a fire, if not addressed. One warning sign is an excessive amount of heat around the fixture.

Protecting yourself and your family also involves carefully cleaning the lint trap in your dryer. With an increase in laundry loads and a busier schedule, this area may get overlooked more often. A dryer fire can lead to a much larger disaster, especially if it breaks out when no one is home.

Examining all major appliances is another helpful part of this annual home review. While extending the life of an old appliance is financially wise, continuing to use an appliance, such as a water heater, that has been malfunctioning or shows signs of electrical damage is more risk than it’s worth. If you you think cannot afford a replacement, consider the expense caused by a house fire started by that problem appliance.

Vents are another important area to focus on. Venting for dryers, water heaters and furnaces are appealing places for animals to build nests. While they are dark and secure, animals may also be drawn to this type of shelter to escape the cooler weather of the season. Unfortunately the nests block the flow of hot air and other substances through the vents, and the dry materials in the nests could ignite.

Before using your furnace for the first time, it’s ideal to have it professionally serviced to ensure it’s functioning safely and properly. Uncleaned furnace filters can be a fire hazard. Another heating source, the chimney, should also be cleaned before first-time use this season. A professional chimney sweep can clean from top to bottom, ensuring no blockage along the way that could later ignite. Also, purchasing a chimney cap can keep animals an debris out. As an added safety measure, many Michigan homeowners have switched from wood-burning fireplaces to gas log systems.

As always, be sure to hire only licensed and reputable contractors for your fire prevention work. You’ll save yourself problems later, and have peace of mind knowing your family is safer at home. That’s a good feeling, especially when winter arrives and you’re spending a whole lot more time in the house.

Read More »

24/7 Emergency Response

Call Now 888.442.2766

Fire & Water Damage Restoration, Michigan, Oakland County

24/7 Emergency Response

Click to call below!